Memories of Winona Green

AAUW 5 Cities – Pismo Beach Members’ Memories of Winona Green:

• I’ll never forget Winona Green’s active enthusiasm for the AVID Diversity Project. She worked hard to get Cal Poly students to partner up with AAUW members and AVID students.
  • Mentoring the AVID girls and chatting with the students was a delight that Winona enjoyed. I recall that many high school girls remained friends with Winona through their college years. She loved every AVID girl she met, unconditionally. Her most special gift to AVID students and staff at AGHS was her infectious laugh and joy at bringing smiles to the students’ and teachers’ faces.
  • Winona was the one who suggested our AAUW branch’s involvement with RIF, Reading Is Fundamental. When her beloved husband, Roy, died, she requested donations in his honor to be made to buy books for RIF. All that year, we were able to give books to third and fourth graders with Roy’s picture on the bookplate. I will always be grateful to Winona for starting RIF in this branch, which is so meaningful to the neediest children who receive our books, and I hope her spirit soars to think we are still carrying on the work she began.
  • Winona was an innovative person. She started programs like Women’s Herstory which is still going strong. Winona loved Women’s Herstory. She brought historically important women to life with gusto! She loved taking these women to the elementary schools and presenting them to amazed and stunned kids, who thought she really was Carrie Nation!
  • I always felt so welcome at AAUW meetings when I entered the room, and Winona greeted me as if I were the most special person there. She was always quick to give a hug and a big smile. My memories of Winona always include her laughter and all-encompassing, welcoming friendship toward everyone—she was such a bright, shiny person, and I loved her from the moment I met her.

1992 Woman of the Year

On April 7, 1992, Winona Green was recognized by the San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors, through the San Luis Obispo County Commission on the Status of Women, as 1992 Woman of the Year. Besides the efforts mentioned above, the resolution noted that Winona:

•  Has been a visible and successful role model for young women in the community;
  •  Has a direct effect on the lives of young girls through her education projects; and
  •  Has demonstrated such qualities as dedication to others, determination to succeed, and commitment to creative solutions for problems.